Fire Protection of Steel Structures - Acceptable & Alternative Solutions (course)
Webinar - 0.15 CEU
Duration: 1h - 40 min
This webinar overviews how steel construction is used with respect to the fire safety requirements of Building Codes. In complying with the Building Code, a design professional has the choice to carry-out an “acceptable solution” as per the provisions in Part 3 of the Code that requires fire rated construction with ULC listed designs determined from ULC S101 fire tests, or an “alternative solution” that provides an opportunity for design professionals to apply engineered solutions and use advanced calculation techniques such as computer fire modeling. Slides will illustrate “acceptable” fire safe designs where the steel structure is expressed in the architectural design (utilizing intumescent coatings and HSS concrete-filling) or where the steel structure is covered (with spray-applied fire resistive materials, rigid boards and concrete-encasement). The second part of the webinar will illustrate the “alternative”, performance-based approach where the design professional conducts structural fire protection engineering where some steel components in the building structure are designed to be unprotected or with a significant reduction in fire protection materials. Research outcomes of full-scale building fire tests and guidance publications along with building code and steel standard procedures (e.g., CSA S19 Annex K) will be overviewed. The option to pursue an “alternative” solution has set the stage for more fire safety design of buildings by aiding both the authorities who approve building designs and the practitioners who are plying the relatively new approaches to structural fire protection engineering.
Eligibility for CEUs
CEUs will be issued for this webinar to participants that meet the following criteria:
- Participant must attend at least 75% of the webinar
- CEUs are only eligible for a participant with a 90% attention rating. In order to maximize your rating the webinar must be full screen. Working on other things while the webinar is running (i.e. not full attention) minimizes your attention rating. The webinar platform automatically tracks your rating.
- CEUs are issued to the registered contact person only (person with assigned seat)
- Upon your purchase, you will receive an email to register course participant seat(s). Assignment of your seat is necessary for course registration, a necessary step, even if you have purchased only one. Please check your junk folder if not in your inbox. An email for course material downloads (if applicable), will be provided after checkout. Courses are non-refundable. Rescheduling may be possible (conditions apply) up to 3 business days prior to the start of the course.
- This webinar includes pdf handout.