Statics and Strength of Materials (self paced course)
Duration 60 hours (20 sessions) 6.0 CEUs
The importance of understanding the basic principles of the static forces and strength of materials is crucial to know for anyone in the steel design or construction profession. This self-paced, online course provides a thorough dissection of the design of steel connections to prepare students who do not have a structural engineering background. With the use of detailed examples and technical resources, you will learn how to calculate the stresses exerted and analyze the behaviour of materials under stress.
This course is made up of 20 sessions and contains 60 hours of video instruction, technical resources, as well as an optional final exam. Once the course is completed, a Certificate of Completion is issued to the learner. Access to the training platform is terminated once the course has been completed.
This training also has the following goals:
- understand and apply the major principles of the static forces and strength of materials using practical applications
- know how to analyze the forces acting on a body and represent them in the form of diagram
- recognize the properties and characteristics of steel
- apply knowledge of physics to solve real scientific problems
- develop curiosity and critical judgment
Topics include vectors, force and equilibrium diagrams, stress and strain, axial compression and buckling, bending moments and shear, section properties and properties of steel.